Equal Pay Day is a day dedicated to raising awareness of the gender pay gap. The exact day differs year by year (Conflicting dates as to what the actual day is in Canada as it may be April 2 or April 9th).
In most cases, men have four months on most women in terms of earnings. Over the lifetime, men will make over $400,000 more than women due to the lack of equal pay.
One way that you can help combat this trend and help make the need for Equal Pay Day obsolete is to advocate for your own salary/raise.
Here are a few tips on negotiating salaries:
- Research what is market value for your experience, expertise and your role. Glassdoor and Payscale are great places to do this research.
- When asking for a raise, showcase your achievements and have concrete examples of how you supported reaching the organizational goals (so be very aware of what are the organization’s goals). Constantly ensure that your role is alignment with the organizational goals so that it:
- Keeps you valuable to the company
- Allows you to feel you are contributing
- Shows value for your position
- Allows you to use it as leverage.
- Be confident when asking. This is the most important piece. You need to believe your own worth. You need to have a strong voice that has conviction in it. You need to believe you deserve. Practice in the mirror what the conversation would be. Notice if you look away or continue to look at yourself as you ask for the raise. Does your body language showcase confidence or do you shy away and change your body position? Does your voice have the same tone, volume and power throughout the conversation or do you falter when you mention money?
Do this exercise multiple times and then journal what is your experience each time. This will allow you to uncover how you are showcasing your worth and deservability on a regular basis as well it allows you to be prepared for the conversation.
- Talk to a mentor or coach who can guide you through the conversation. It is always helpful to have a third party act as a soundboard, give pointers and a coach can take you through a role play.
Historically, we know women tend to negotiate less and accept what they are given – so it is time to negotiate once and do it well. Your voice and your confidence in your own abilities will help fix this disparity. Do you have any additional tips to add? Tell us about them in the comments.
In the next few weeks, there are many exciting things happening in my life including travel and some really inspiring events (I will include links to the inspiring events on the bottom of this post). My travel all transpired organically and very last minute, which reminded me of how when we live in the flow we are easily able to manifest what we want.
I am gearing up to meet Amma in Seattle this weekend (check out my post last year on the purest love I experienced with her-http://bit.ly/12NjYza), then I am off to Hawaii and Fiji! I am living my dream of working off my laptop on an exotic beach;) All of this last minute travel has been teaching me quite a bit about myself especially around my relationship with money and people. I noticed that as I had started to spend quality time with people who I felt uplifted and inspired around, money and opportunities started to flow my way.
The Queen of Earth card below from the Angel Tarot Cards shows us how we can create magic all around us if we stay connected to our surroundings, spend quality time with individuals who we leave feeling refreshed and renewed and she especially shows us that bringing in compassion into situations allows us to have positive outcomes to challenges.
Have you realized that when you are happy and feeling healthy, that everything seems to be better? When we are in the flow of life, relationships are better, there is more opportunities coming your way and all your manifestations are coming true. Wouldn’t it be great to feel this way all the time?
It is possible that you can. It is a choice you make to “BE” happy, “BE” content and “BE” present around the people you enjoy spending time with. If you notice diverging from any of these states, ask yourself “am I avoiding intimacy,” or “how do I feel around these individuals?” I will remind you that no one can make you feel any which way, if someone makes us tired or a little negative than we are allowing someone else to determine how we feel. If you notice that you are constantly feeling a little more down around a certain person, ask yourself “what is it that they remind me of that gets me feeling anything less than positive?”
I know that this post is loaded with relationship related questions that we will unpack over the next couple of weeks as we gear up for the 4 part – call series on Attracting more Money and Live Healthier.
I will leave you off with an exercise to visit your current list of family and friends and see who you feel the most refreshed around, rejuvenated and inspired by. I would suggest spending more time around those individuals and watch how much more grateful you are towards life then!
Exciting Events coming up
June 19th – “Truths and Myths of Successful Startup Businesses” – www.byobfsuccessstartup.eventbrite.ca
Come learn from experts and entrepreneurs on tips on how to have a successful startup.
June 20th – “Wealthylicious Vancouver” – http://wealthyliciousvancouver.eventbrite.com/
Heal Your Money Stories, Activate Your Millionaire Mindset and Create Multiple Streams of Income.
July 8th – “Attract More Money and Live Healthier” – http://wp.me/P1HP20-7M
A 4 tele-call series on Attracting more Money and living healthier focusing on money mindset, and a 30-day action plan to achieve your goals. (A tele-call series is a group coaching program, where you will be provided a conference call number to dial into during call times and will be sent a recording incase you miss the live class. Email support is provided in between calls to answer all questions you may have)