In the last few years, this week in May has shown us as a society where we need to do better, be better, scream for change and create change within our sphere of influence.
- May 25, 2020: George Floyd was murdered
- May 27, 2021: Announcement by Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation of 215 unmarked graves found at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School site.
- May 24, 2022: Twenty-on (21) including 19 kids killed by a shooter in Uvalde, Texas
Each of these incidents was devastating on their own. We honour the lives that were lost. Through their sacrifice, we hope we can be the catalyst for change.
We have seen how these events outside the business world impact our work internally, as our team members are human. They experience emotions, reduced productivity and shock. They are enraged, and rightly so. Political beliefs are brought into the workplace and are causing more division, but it isn’t because of political beliefs. It is the space that we create to understand why someone believes something and remember that they are the same person who they were the day before – even though they may believe something different than us.
The foundation of the equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging work that Veza does is to ensure we remember not to label each other as that is where we separate ourselves from the other. It is about finding common ground as all of us are hurting somehow. In coming together through veza (connection), we can truly heal.
For all those who have sacrificed their lives so that we can change as a society, we honour you. We will remember what you have done. You did not have to go in so much pain. You didn’t deserve that. What you do deserve is that each of us who is still here will be your voice, the catalyst for change needed, and see others with compassion as we use our voices for the change.
If you are feeling helpless or unsure of how you can make a change:
- Remember, your voice matters. Who has the influence to champion the change you seek? Talk to them and engage them to be your champion.
- Pick one topic where you can make an impact and dive in. There is much change needed in this world. Allow yourself to be drawn to the closest one to your heart.
- Find a community of supporters who are also looking to make similar changes. There is power in numbers.
At Veza, the foundation of our work is in coaching individuals who are passionate about creating change in the world. That is where we started in 2009 formally. Reach out to us, and we are happy to have a conversation with you on your change-making plan.